Friday, September 21, 2007

The 100 year Contract

My husband once made me promise, before we got married, that I would never, EVER involve him in one of those "25th Anniversary Renewal of Vows". I made him a deal. If we did it right the first time, he wouldn't have to do it again. But I also locked him into a 100 year contract. I still tease him from time to time that if he feels the need to jettison me when he's 123 to look for a new wife...well, good luck.

I've kept my end of the bargain...we passed year 27 in August, with not a "renewal" in sight. Which is fine with me. I don't like being the center of attention. I'm more of a behind-the-scenes person. An Indian happy not to be the Chief.

The secret to our success? He makes me laugh. Still. I met 17 year old him when I was a shy sixteen. It's like we grew up together. Unlike today, we simply dated through high school and college, living at home with our separate parental units until we got married. I know. Archaic. Maybe, but we're still together. So here's an ode to hubby, who makes me laugh when life gets tough...and won't let me sulk. You know a person really understands you when they can just start laughing, knowing you'll fall right in. For no other reason than love is often a shared giggle.

Make me laugh.
Make me smile.
Make me forget for a while
That life doesn’t play fair…

…even if I do.


Make me giggle.
Make me swoon.
Make me believe in over the moon
Even if gravity binds me here…

…against my will.


Make me adventurous.
Make me try.
Make me never wonder why
You still believe in me…

…after all these years.


Make me courageous.
Make me take flight.
Make me know that in the night
You’ll still reach over to hold my hand…

…telling me it’s okay to fail if I'm willing to try again.


Funny. As kids we use to taunt
“You can’t make me!”
And yet, all I want
is for us to stay happy…

…and giggle for 73 more years.


1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Awwwwwww!! that is soooo sweet! you should check out my sisters blog today...your blog would answer question number two :-). Victoria under the blog links sections on mine.