Saturday, August 18, 2007

Well Grounded

I'm one of those people who always takes care of everyone else first. I think they call it being born female. That means your worry gene is balanced with the one for caring and an inescapable urge to fix anything in your power. Most of the time it's so second nature I don't give it a second thought.

It also means you put the wants and needs of others first and have a tendency to tell yourself that you'll get whatever it is you need...just as soon as everyone is happy. Or things settle down. Or you have the time...money...knowledge. And on and on and on. The hardest part, for me, is to break down and get something I want instead of something I NEED.

Today, I did something for me. Because I wanted to.

Granted, it falls somewhere between symbolic and silly, but hey, you go with what you want and it doesn't always have a good explanation. I get in moods to write and I've been in one for a while now. It makes me happy...which in turn makes hubby happy because I tend to forget to be irked by most of life's little annoyances when I'm writing. I can even ignore the people who look at me and question my mental health because I write for the sheer joy of it. Sure, sometimes writing has a financial purpose but I'm better at it when I'm doing so to entertain myself. And right now, I'm happily entertained.

So today I purchased a simple daily reminder that wraps my writing into the cycle of life. I've been interested in Scotland for the past couple of weeks and discovered that Celtic symbols are not the exclusive property of Ireland...no matter what those people in my family who think they're Irish believe. I've always thought "symbols" were nice but I never found one that spoke to me on a personal level. Today I did.

It's a simple pewter key chain of a Celtic Knot...a knot which ties people together and is the symbol of eternal love which has no beginning or end. But in the middle is a Tree of Life. The roots are firmly grounded in the circle, it's branches reaching heavenward toward the top of the circle. It's the circle of love and life combined. To me it's a reminder that all things are possible.

So now when I go on my daily commute, I will be taking along my circle of life, where writing keeps me both grounded and allows me to reach for the skies. Writing is my quiet talent...it has no beginning and no end...and I will love it until the words in me grow silent.


1 comment:

Bonnie said...

"It's the Circle of Life
And it moves us all
Through despair and hope
Through faith and love
Till we find our place
On the path unwinding"

(from the Lion King but seemed appropriate)